Roland Kuit, 1959 avant-electronic composer, The Netherlands.
From his childhood, Roland Kuit has always been fascinated by the phenomenon of sound. Surrounded with instruments like a grand piano, violins, double bass, trombone and guitars, he started to experiment with these sounds and the tape recorder. He was 6 years old at that time. This early playground formed a conceptual brain scheme for the rest of his life: sound-experiment, experiment-sound. At early age he started to play the flute and was accepted at the Royal Conservatory, The Hague continuing his sound research in extended flute techniques. Here he met the music of Karlheinz Stockhausen, Luigi Nono, Berio, Dick Raaijmakers and other composers in electronic music. Experiencing limitations in acoustic music, Roland bought his first synthesizer. The ARP 2600. At that moment Roland made a decisive step in his career by subscribing at the prestigious Institute of Sonology in the Netherlands, one of longest-running research and production hubs on the European electroacoustic music scene. It was at the end of formalism, serial music and new ways in sound creation and composition had to be explored. Under the influence of director Gottfried Michael Koenig this post-formal framework was opened for experiment. Roland studied analogue and digital sound science. Synthesis- and studio techniques next to composition. At the IRCAM in Paris, Roland experienced new ways in acoustic composition and research of physical modeling in spectral music. Earlier he had accomplished a virtual string quartet with use of analogue synthesis. Analogue synthesized sounds have something alive in the sound due behavior of the apparatus. Sounds created by digital means seemed to be a kind of static so Roland used his knowledge to apply his techniques in the digital realm. His morphing between different techniques and shaping of algorithms became Roland’s signature. Roland’s sonic palette is crossing the boundaries of music to sound sculptures and sound objects as well. Research, imagination and association in a technical way made him write his books about combining synthesis techniques. Lecturing at diverse universities and creating radio programs about electronic music giving him a platform to discuss his conceptual thoughts. He performs on concert stages and in art galleries and museums. His books and music are published by Donemus, Publishing House of Dutch Contemporary Classical Music.
- 2016 "GRUIS/GRIT", Kyma
- 2015 "Atomic wheeled vehicle", Kyma
- "The Impossible Bicycle", Kyma
- "Nanophonic similarities", Buchla 200 - Kyma
- "Tectonic Articulations of Colour", Buchla 200 - Kyma
- 2014 "Time Tunnels", for Renee Baker. Six Granular Microtonalisms for orchestra and electronics.
- "Illiac Indeterminacy", Kyma X/Pacarana. A tribute to Daniel Slotnick and John Cage.
- "One Piece For Two imaginary Piano's ", Kyma X and Pacarana
- "Rajlich Rebits I - III", Kyma X and Pacarana.
- "Etude Violinesque", Kyma X and Pacarana.
- "Schaltungen I - III", Nord Modular G2. For Bil Smith.
- 2013 "Monads and beyond", Xite-1 Modular IV / Flexor. Karin Schomaker: visuals.
- "Form follows function", Xite-1 Modular IV/Flexor and Karin Schomaker visuals.
- 2012 "The LAB", 35 years of electronic experiments
- 2011 "_0_ , 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, .0. ", computer music
- 2006 "De zee", for flute, hobo d'amour, bass clarinet, electronics, 3 groups female singers, video screens with electronic music.
- 2003 "Moving surface", for Tomas Rajlich.
- 2001 'Lines', for Hobo (d' Amour) and spacial granular synthesis.
- 2000 'Song for Clara Daniela Bentinck', for modular system, voice and granular synthesis. 'Emulated flutes I', physical modeling synthesis.
- 1999 Xor, Nor and Or for physical string models. Violence, for physical string models.
- 1998 Manifestation of New Music and Environment: series of concerts and performances for computer, dance, bass clarinet, flute, harp, the Hague.
- 1997 FM/AM, composition for computer and video.
- 1996 Hieroglyphs for Florence Sitruk, composition for pedal harp and computer. Electronic Poetry with Albert in 't Veld.
- 1995 Resonance, composition for bass flute and computer. European Harp Symposium: MATRIX MR4 for Masumi Nagasawa, composition for pedal harp and programmable c.d.
- 1994 Juigalpa Project: Requiem for flutes, double bass, percussion and tape.
- LAYERS I-III, composition for violin, viola, double bass and computer.
- 1985/90 compositions and sound design for pop- and jazz formations.
- 1985 Dutch Broadcasting Studio (N.O.S.) compositions for movement (dance); KLIM
- 1978 AM/FM, techniques to explore noise and crackles
- New Electronic Prose of the Hague, voice art: a tribute to Albert Vogel and ZERO.
- Holiday, composition for 5 harp groups and computer.
- Argument I, composition for bass clarinet and computer.
- Argument II, composition for bass clarinet and computer.
- Flute piece I, composition for flute and computer.
- Emulated String Quartets I-IV, physical modelling of string instruments extended techniques.
- 2000 'St@te of .......phase", minimal house music. research of phase differences.
- 2003 "Resetings", Techno performance. "Dutch Loopz", minimal dance performance.
- 2004 "Dutch Lounge Loops", video and music project.
- 2005 "SineBeatz" projects.
- 2006 "Car music", minimal techno. "Chat music", electro.
- 2008 Trance things.
- 1998 The Relax Patches, compositions for virtual analogue modular synthesizer.
- 2015 "99 Re-cycle sound objects", Roland Kuit: Kyma, bicycle
- "Vehicular" Roland Kuit: Kyma, Karin Schomaker: visual art
- Diploptic" Roland Kuit: Kyma, Karin Schomaker: visual art
- "Opus Caementicium" Roland Kuit: Kyma, Karin Schomaker: visual art
- 2014 "From Serra to Zaha" Roland Kuit: Xite-1 Modular IV / Flexor, Karin Schomaker: visual art
- 2013 "Monads and beyond" Roland Kuit: Xite-1 Modular IV / Flexor. Karin Schomaker: visual art
- "form follows function" Roland Kuit: Xite-1 Modular IV / Flexor. Karin Schomaker: visual art
- 2009 "Cars" computer drawings and audio
- 2002 "Resonance" audio art object
- 2001 "Square Noise" audio art object
- "Enjoy Riding" audio art object
- 1999 "Money talks" audio art for coins, 2 bass speakers sensors and Micro modular synthesizer
- 1998 "Paris" audio art object
- 1997 "SQUARE&SINE" audio art for Marcel Prins
- "The Hague 2025" multimedia- project with Marc van Bilderbeek and Mariska Streefland
- 1996 Audio art sculpture "Line, black.....interrupt" audio art
- "E-SCOPE" video installation with Marc van Bilderbeek
- 1995 "AMSTERDAM" for Avenue-magazine
- "Architectonic Models I-XVII" audio sculpture
- 1994 Audio art sculpture with Reier Pos (light performance)
- Audio art sculpture with Albert in 't Veld (steel/neon objects)
- Audio art sculpture with Tomas Rajlich (paintings)
- "Sound Event for 4 paper objects" audio art object
- Audio art sculpture for relief of Jan Andriesse
- "Electro Acoustic Domestic Pet" audio art object
- "Construction I audio art object
- 2016-Bertus Mulder, Marco Mulder: Moontime
- 1997-Anneke Mulder: De kloof
- 1997-Anneke Mulder: Ijs
- 2000-Marc van Bilderbeeck: OUI,je t'embrasse
- 1996, Eksters - Stichting Rein Edzard Produkties
Compositions have been performed in
- Sonikas XIV. Centro Cultural Lope de Vega. Madrid, Spain
- PACE-2(KYMA International Sound Symposium 2016. De Montfort University, Leicester, U.K.
- 100 years DADA. Sonoridades Alternativas. Teatro la Rancheria, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Fylkingen, Stockholm, Sweden
- STEIM, Amsterdam. The Netherlands
- AB Brussel-Huis23,Brussels,Belgium
- EZUFF = PP#5 Festival, Spectrum NYC, USA
- New York City Electroacoustic Music Society, Spectrum NYC, USA
- Hörlursfestival Sollefteå, Västernorrland, Sweden
- De Ijsbreker, Amsterdam
- Paradiso, Amsterdam
- De Melkweg, Amsterdam
- Cafe Sonore, Amsterdam
- RAI, Amsterdam
- Paard van Troje, Den Haag
- Atrium, Townhall, Den Haag
- Spuiplein, Den Haag
- HKK, Den Haag
- Theater aan het Spui, Den Haag
- Congresgebouw (North Sea Jazz), Den Haag
- Festival of Arts, Rotterdam
- University for Music and Media (electro-music festival), London
- Cheltenham Art Center, Philadelphia
- Lecturer at School of Computing. Edinburgh Napier University, Scotland
- Lecturer at EMS Stockholm, Sweden
- Lecturer at Lindbladstudion, The department for electronic music at the Academy of Music and Drama,University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- Lecturer at Sonus Factory, Rome, Italy
- Substitute Lecturer analogue studio techniques, Institute for Sonology, Utrecht
- Lecturer and head of department Klanklaboratorium, Koorenhuis, Den Haag
- Lecturer Audio Art Vrije Academie, Den Haag
- Lecturer Nord Modular Synthesizer, Centre for Electronic Music, Amsterdam
- Lecturer Sound design at SAE, Rotterdam
- Guest lecturer at Conservatorium, Groningen
- Guest lecturer at the University for media in London
- Demerararecords "Tomorrows calling"
- Nanophonic similarities
- Tectonic Articulations of Colour
- Piano Restructures
- Ars Modular Musica III
- Ars Modular Musica II
- Ars Modular Musica I
- New Chamber Music
- Abstract Flute Music
- Meditations for Flute
- IFAR's "Avant-garde"
- Kyma - Pacarana, Symbolic Sound
- Concertzender, Dutch radio
- SCOPE SDK6 Xite, Sonic Core
- Modular IV, Sonic Core
- Xite-1, Sonic Core
- Clavia Nord Modular & G2, Nord Wave
- KLC MS-20, Korg
- Sonic State
- Noordhollands Dagblad
- Leids Dagblad
- HP/De Tijd
- Algemeen Dagblad
- De Telegraaf
- Thoughts on FM: beyond the algorithms part I
- Musica Globalista on Wired.com
- eight nerve
- The next word on music
- Sound Morphology
- Modular strategies in shaping reflections and space
- To be ON- or to be OFF- that's the SWITCH* Avenue Magazine
- Future Music
- Notes, bits&bytes
- Interface magazine
- Orbe, Livres d’Artistes
- World Harp Review
- Notes, bits&bites
- Komponisten der Gegenwart
- Zo als ik iets ben (H.K.K).
- North Sea Jazz
- Film festival catalogue '97, Netherlands
- Film festival catalogue '84, Italy
- E-book SoundLab I, The Electronic Studio
- E-book SoundLab II, Architectures for philosophers
- E-book Laboratory of Patching, Illustrated Compendium of Modular Synthesis
- Audio Central Magazine
- Creating a Sonic Boolean Barber's Pole
- NPO Radio 1
- NPO Radio 2
- Radio 10
- BNR Nieuws Radio
- BBC 3, U.K
- NOS radio, Netherlands
- VPRO radio, Netherlands
- VARA radio, Neterlands
- Concertzender radio, Netherlands
- Canadian radio
- Soundart Radio Moskow, USSR
- French radio 1, France
- Lake County Community Radio C.A.,USA
- Swedish Film Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
- EMS Stockholm, Sweden
- Composer at DONEMUS
- Netherlands Electronic music Repertoire Centre (Gaudeamus), Amsterdam
- Muziek encyclopedie Nederland
- Komponisten der Gegenwart
- Haags Gemeente Archief, Den Haag
- Centre Pompidou, Paris
Idem voor het geluid
Idem voor het audiovisueel ontwerp
Wilt u deze pagina bewerken, corrigeren of aanvullen?
Iedereen kan eenvoudig meeschrijven aan de theatergeschiedenis op de Theaterencyclopedie. Hiervoor moet u ingelogd zijn op uw eigen account. Door eenmalig te registreren maakt u een eigen account aan. Helpt u mee de Theaterencyclopedie compleet te maken?